I have been getting lot of requests to share my strategy for GS-3 given the marks I have in this paper.( I got 119 in GS-3)
Please note following points in this regard. I have skipped some generic suggestions and highlighted few which might lead to marks augumentation.
- Be updated with facts and figures on various aspects of economy: Sectoral contribution of GDP(Agriculture, industries, services), employment scenario. Within agriculture what is the contribution of cereal crops, non-cereal crops in farmers income, what is average farmers income, NPA and bad loans etc. Similar facts on other aspects of economy need to be prepared.
- Use these facts and figure to strengthen your arguments.
- Use charts and diagrams wherever possible ( Avoid overdoing though)
- For GS-3 committee and commission names and their recommendations are important. Hence keep an eye on such committees, note down their central points.
- Economic survey: do this religiously and use its suggestions in answers. Make Short notes of various chapters.
- NITI ayog’s 3 years action agenda: many great suggestions are there which can be written in your answers.
- Keep visiting NITI website. It keeps releasing new reports which might be useful for GS-3 like report on mobility, tackling air pollution in Delhi etc. These will add value to your answer.
- Read Sendai framework document, read NDMP-2016. These will give you administrative skeleton ( accountability matrix) of disaster management. This will be handy in answering DM questions.
- Use columnists and their central ideas. For example Isher Judge Ahulwalia wrote about Ambikapur model of SWM. I used this example in SWM question in this year’s mains. Such usage increases your credibility and helps in boosting marks.
- Extending point 9, list down certain key columinst and keep an eye on their ideas, opinions. For example if there is a question on unemployment controversy in CSE-19, you can talk about how NITI Ayog’s CEO, Amitabh Kant highlights the issues in Calculation methodology of CSO. So preparation on these lines should be done. Similarly Ashok Gulati can be mentioned for agriculture issues.
- Look for toppers copy and look for how they present their ideas on paper. I learnt many new diagrams and new ideas from Anudeep Durishetty( Rank 1, CSE2017) and other toppers through their written test papers.
- When you read compilations or vision 365( Economics, Environment, security, Science & Tech) make Short, effective notes which are reproducible in exams.I have shared my GS-3 notes on these links. Have an idea on how to prepare notes for GS-3.
Until next time,